Monday, June 29, 2009

Thank You, Hit Singles

Oh, this one is short and sweet, because we like everything nice and compact.
Just look at cellphones!

This is just a shout out to the hit singles.
Not just the songs featured on the radio
but the songs featured on television
and motion pictures! God, I love motion pictures
'cause I can just sit down and have
everything efficient! The experience is like
taking shits
and popping pills! HOORAY!

I'm kidding. I have nothing against liking singles or finding out about a band through whatever form of media. However, songwriters pour their souls just to have 90% of their shit ignored.

But no, we all want to be pop culture guys and dolls. I get it: I'm not featured in a cute movie with Michael Cera. Thank you, hit singles.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Kev, I agree with this. I have gotten countless songs from movies and tutorals on youtube and watching T.V. Hit singles sure are amazing. =)

    ~Ashia Humbert aka. Strange Flower or The Lovely star leo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like hit singles when they help promote albums and getting people to listen to other songs. Aforementioned, it bums me out when nobody listens to a musician's album, and just the singles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually get drawn into albums by a single, but that's 'cause I'm a pirate like that. I understand people with itunes and crap like that not bothering to listen 'cause they want their top 40 playlists and nothing else, and they're spending a dollar on every song, but I don't really think it's much of an excuse. I do reel whenever I see Michael Cera now though. I loved Superbad, and I was particularly fond of Arrested Development, but everything he's done since is god awful. I also reel when I hear songs I like in a commercial. It makes people totally look like tools.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah, that's fine. I'm not going to lie and say I don't get into bands through singles. My problem is that singles (and especially because of itunes) are the death of albums as we know it.

    And don't get me wrong, there are bands that are one hit wonders. I have a Flock of Seagulls album, and none of it is as catchy as "I Ran."

    And lastly, I really have nothing against Michael Cera, but rather just commenting how Juno and Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist seemed to define what is "indie" music. . . But really, why should a film define what's good to you? I support my local label (Eenie Meenie Records if you're interested) and they've got a plethora of good shit coming out each year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I should give some of their stuff a listen. I totally understand what you mean about movies dictating what "indie" is, and it's a little confusing. Like, movies kill the concept of indie music, at least I think so.

    ReplyDelete